Friday, January 10, 2014

Living the American Christian Life

Woof - this is going to be a tough one.  Mostly because the finger is pointed at me as much as anyone.  But I'd like to jump in head first ...
Question #1:  What does God ask us to do with our blessings?  Blessings He's given us?  More specifically, how are we to spend our money and our time?
As it says in Proverbs, "Give me enough to live on, neither too much nor too little.  If I'm too full, I might get independent, saying, 'God? Who needs him?'  If I'm poor, I might steal and dishonor the name of my God." (Proverbs 30:8-9, The Message paraphrase)

This is going to sting, but here goes:  So, what is to be said for American Christians?  Driving around a $70,000 Mercedes with an Ichthus symbol decal on the bumper?
Question #2:  Is disparity like this pleasing to God?
We say we believe in God and that Jesus is our Lord and Savior.  We say that the Bible is true - and it is - but remember that the Bible has truth in it such as, "Those who hear and don't act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like." (James 1:23-24, The Message paraphrase).  We believe that we are given blessings in order to be the hands and feet of God in this world ... to help the least of these.  Then we spend it on ourselves in opulent ways.

I can hear it now:  "I give to my Church!  I give money to WorldVision!  I am sponsoring 2 kids in Uganda through Compassion International!  I worked in the Soup Kitchen last year.  I think that's enough!  Don't judge me!  God wants me to enjoy some of these blessings!"  Okay, Mr. Offended, here are a few thoughts:
  1. I'm not judging you.  I don't even know you're reading this.  I'm talking to me here.  Judgement isn't my job ... I'm not qualified.
  2. God DOES want us to have joy, and enjoy our time in his creation.
  3. No one is asking you to give everything away.  Although God may and - if He does - I think you need to strongly consider it.  Just saying.
  4. With great blessings comes great responsibilities.  I think that's from Spiderman.
  5. Final Jeopardy Question ...  Are you (am I) giving until it hurts at least a little?  Are you (am I) sacrificing in any real way?  Be honest with yourself.  Or is it more like the Pharisees in the Temple giving some of their "extras" - which looks like a lot - versus the old woman given her last two shekels?
Which is God in our lives?
We live in a bubble.  And living in this microcosm of Georgetown where even the poor aren't really that poor compared to the truly poverty stricken of the world, I am no where near poor.  In fact, I'm comfortable.  I do NOT believe that is why God created me.  I am not here to be comfortable, stand still, never risk anything and trust that He will provide, then die.  I know this because the Bible tells me so (that and Jesus loves me, this I know ...).

So, what to do now that I've slammed it on the table for consideration?  I wrote this and you've read it.  Now we're in a corner.  No plausible deniability.  What do we do?  

I think we both know.  Time for some hard decisions.  Time to start living the Christian life, not just saying the right words and "believing without acting".

Baby steps.  The bigger the better, though.

Here I go.


Footnote:  Check out the following books for more on this call to action.
>> "Not a Fan" by Kyle Idleman
>> "Radical" by David Platt
>> "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan
Be ready to be shaken up.

No comments:

Post a Comment