Friday, March 18, 2016

Trusting God (and only God) to Provide

Can you trust God to provide for your needs, or is your impulse to try to provide for yourself?

In Proverbs 30:9, we read "Give me enough food to live on, neither too much nor too little. If I'm too full, I might get independent, saying, 'God? Who needs Him?' If I'm poor, I might steal and dishonor the name of my God."

I find myself in the former position many times. The abundance that I have distracts me from my desperate need for God. I don't think I feel the full weight of redemption and provision, because I always have enough food, my kids are healthy, I have work, I have love from my family, I have freedom by living where I live and in the time that I live.

This comfort puts me in the category of being too full, too independent. I find myself subconsciously saying, 'God? Who needs Him?' I would never say this out loud, or even consciously think it. But many times my actions speak louder than words.

While it scares me a bit to pray this prayer, I will pray it today:

Lord, give me enough food to live on, neither too much nor too little. I know that if I have too much, I'll feel independent, thinking that I don't need you. And I know if I'm poor, I may do things that are not pleasing to you, that dishonor you. God, right now I acknowledge that I'm scared of being without. But that is just a reflection of my failed faith in you. I am weak, but you are strong. Give me your strength God to simply depend on you and nothing else. I asked this in the precious and holy name of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment