Sunday, August 7, 2016

I have a death wish ... really I do.

For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:21

I believe the aforementioned verse 100%. To die is GAIN
I am not afraid of death. In fact, I have a bit of a death wish!

We normally hear that statement from someone who lives life on the edge. We hear it from someone who does crazy things for the thrill of it, for the adrenaline rush. I'm a bit of that guy, too, but that's not what I mean. I DO mean, though, "living life on the edge" in a different way ...

If I die today, I know I'm secure and I know I will be in bliss - eternal joy and ecstasy, near my God, my Creator, my Lord and Savior ... forever and ever. How could I be afraid of that? How could I not WANT that? Now, the process of dying? Maybe not that part, but we're all dying, aren't we? And I certainly hope I go out peacefully, maybe in my sleep instead of drowning or falling to my death. But regardless, it will end abruptly and I will find myself in "the Land of Glory" with no more tears, no more pain, no more sorrow, no more shame. Perfection.

If I live, on the other hand, I will have been given the honor of continuing to do God's work. I continue on with the knowledge that I'm here for a specific purpose, assigned to me personally by God. As I learn that specific purpose, in the interim I'm here to spread the Good News (the Gospel) to as many as possible ... to make Disciple-making Disciples ... to walk along side my fellow Brothers and Sisters, together building the beginnings of His Kingdom here on Earth. 

Either way, it is well with my soul. But I have to admit, from what I understand, heaven sounds better. Far, far better. And I can hardly wait!

I certainly will not seek death, but I will welcome it happily when it comes. Until then, I will keep my eyes on Him and on eternal things, because that is what matters. Nothing else does.

Carpe Diem (for His glory alone)!

No comments:

Post a Comment