Sunday, January 15, 2017

My take on the incoming President (for what it's worth)

The Donald. Yes, he is your President, too.
The Donald. Is our President. The Donald. If you'd told me this was to be the case 10 years ago, I would have chuckled a little, then said, "Okay ... anyway ...". The Donald. Hmm.

So, what are my thoughts? First, I don't know that it matters what my (our your) thoughts are at this point. He's our President. Period. Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and render unto God that which is God's (sorry to get all King James on you). He is our nation's leader now and, like every President in our history, there is a large swath of the populace that did not vote for him or want him. But we must acknowledge that he IS our President, and give him some respect and our support: encouraging him, praying for him, and sending letters to him and other leaders and/or speaking up when appropriate and necessary. But we must support all of our leaders - nothing good comes from working against them, and even less comes from sophomoric endless complaining.

So, what do I think?

  • He was far from my first choice. I liked Ben Carson. Still do. If he runs in the future, he has my vote.
  • He is narcissistic. He thinks he's a pretty big deal, in a bigly way. This is not unlike the President who just vacated by the way, if we're honest, although he was a master at feigning humility. Trump wears it, front and center.
  • He is a horrible public speaker with what seems like a limited and not incredibly creative vocabulary. His use of hand gestures during speeches is distracting at best.
  • His hair. Oh my.
  • He's pretty darn clueless regarding race. Yet, so am I (but I'm learning). Note, I said "clueless", not "intentionally hateful". Ignorance is not good, but it's not evil either.
But I don't think that's all there is to him. Here are some more of my thoughts:
  • Most importantly, I am hopeful that he really is a "baby Christian" as the likes of ben Carson, Franklin Graham, and others I truly admire seem to believe. I've not met President Trump, but they have ... so I can only go off of what he's said in speeches and what the talking heads have to say. His past is riddled with ridiculous statements, comments that sound pretty racist and sexist, and so on. There's no defending him there. But becoming a Christian (if in fact He did sincerely become one) means two things: (a) He's a new creation spiritually, and will change given time, and (b) he still has the rough edges that will be chipped off and smoothed down over time. Again, it is my hope that he really is a baby Christian.
  • He has a bit of the Ross Perot effect, in that I think he has the potential to cut out the fat and make the US run more efficiently, especially in the business sector. So much waste and so many opportunities to improve. Despite his bankruptcy, etc., he DOES know business and he is a shrewd negotiator.
  • He has a wonderful community of advisors surrounding him, in general. Some are questionable, granted, but just the spiritual advisors that he's chosen? If he leverages them often and truly listens and grows through those interactions ... he will be a different, more compassionate and loving man. No doubt.
  • Half of America wanted him. They can't all be racists. In fact, I'm betting there's only a small whack-job percentage that really is truly racist and see him as their White Power President. Looking down upon people is a sin, in and of itself. And assuming they are stupid, or hateful, or whatever, is condescending and arrogant. They are American, too, whether you agree with them or not. And they've spoken. The election is over.

My greatest hope is that he is now a Christian. Eventually, that will mean he loves and cares for everyone: Muslims, Christians, Hindus and Atheists, etc. Blacks, whites, latinos and asians, etc. Conservatives, liberals, right-wingers and left-wingers. For the short term, I expect more stumbles - no doubt. Count on it. But medium term, I have HOPE. Because God makes all things good. Do you hear that? All things.

Have hope with me.

Much love,
Greg (just one American)

No comments:

Post a Comment