Monday, February 20, 2017

Miracles are real. Believe it.

Coincidence is God's Way
of Remaining Anonymous. 
-- Albert Einstein

We live in a skeptical age where we want to excuse away everything as coincidence. And we should when it is just a natural occurrence. But when something is simply unexplainable or too coincidental to be a coincidence, we need to drop the irrational skepticism and embrace the miracle.

My friend, Chris, just brought one to me. In his past, he's struggled with alcohol abuse. So has his wife. In fact, though he is past his issues (2+ years sober), his wife has been struggling, and it's impacting her job, their marriage and their son. Chris has been praying hard. I've been praying for them, too. Many, actually, have been praying for them. And, if you don't know it already, I'll tell you that prayer absolutely works.

An absolute miracle occurred. A few weeks ago, their son came up to his mom, touched her stomach and said, "There's a baby in there!". After a chuckle, they explained to him that this was not true but hugged him and smiled a the thought. They'd had serious trouble with having kids AND she was on birth control out of a fear of going through what they went through with him.

But this weekend, Chris' wife came to him to let him know that she took a test, then went to the doctor, and she was pregnant! Until this weekend, because of the drinking, she had not been herself at all. Chris was a the end of his rope and was contemplating what to do next with their marriage. But this weekend, she was back to her old self. No drinking, no fights, no erratic behavior ... just Mom and wife, back again.

Chris was glowing with happiness as he told us this just this morning, just a few hours ago. Interesting thing is, the sermon at Chris' church was about being at the end of your rope, thinking things were hopeless and could not get better. But God, being the miracle worker that he is, is able to do the "impossible". And I, just before he came over, was reading about this very same thing in my Bible for Men. Here's what I read:
Men like to fix things. If there's a problem, there must be a solution, and most men will work long and hard to try and figure something out. It's an admirable work ethic, but it an lead to the faulty assumption that we control the world around us. Miracles supercede the laws of nature and are God's way of reminding us that this is HIS world, not ours. Do you hear that? This is God's world, and he is in control. God can fix anything, anywhere, anytime, and He loves to intervene  in supernatural ways to answer our prayers. So, next time you're in trouble and can't see your way out - turn to God for help. He is waiting for you to simply ask.
Lord, you amaze me every day. Miracles are happening all around me, and I would notice them if I simply stopped and looked around. And I know that you will perform miracles ... step into time and space and do supernatural things ... if I just drop my need to control and ask humbly. You are good God. And I am thankful for your long-suffering patience with me and my residual skepticism.

Continue to sculpt me, God, into the wonderful, Christ-like image you have planned for me. I love you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment