Saturday, February 4, 2017

Community ... it's EPIC2 ...


Community. 
The word community comes from the same root as communication. Without community, there is no communication. And without communication, we grow more and more distant from each other, not understanding or even caring to understand one another’s experience, perspectives … and subsequent fears, worries, doubts. 

I was blessed this week to hear from five individuals who each spoke from a new perspective that I’ve personally never been exposed to. And it was eye-opening. 

  • I heard from an African American man who spoke on the topic of Execution in terms of how we inter-relate with people, seek to understand them, and start to make change for the better. 
  • I heard about Passion, which is a choice we make to be or not to be. Am I pretending (to be a Christian, for instance)? Or am I truly passionate? One must center themselves on that which they are truly passionate, sometime at the risk of “missing out” on less important things vis-à-vis one's passion. Sometimes it means forsaking all other wants to achieve the goal about which one is passionate. 
  • I heard about Integrity – doing what is morally right in all circumstances – and how messy it may get … and that’s okay. During that talk, I heard a perspective from a lesbian woman that I’d never really considered. That perspective gives me more compassion. And compassion must precede drawing someone to Christ. 
  • I heard about finding the undiscovered need of our Customers, and it inspired me to gather with some of my team afterward to suggest a radical idea I’d like to try which will feed into a common need of all CIOs, and result in far larger, more valuable engagements and end states for our customers. 
  • I heard about Community from the father of Malala, a woman in Pakistan who works feverishly for women’s rights in the middle east, focused on education, which they do not generally receive. 


My company calls this EPIC2Execution, Passion, Integrity, Customers, Community. And this aligns very nicely with my faith. It doesn’t cover the entirety of my faith by any stretch, and it certainly neglects the most important thing: faith in Christ. But it was an outstanding reminder to act (Execution) on what I know, and to continually hone what I know through continued study of scripture, and constant learning about others’ experiences. It was a reminder to make the main thing the main thing (Passion), sacrificing many if not all of my other wants for what is most important – glorifying God. Taking up my cross daily and loving my God with all my heart, soul, strength and loving my neighbor well, as I’d want to be loved and understood. It was a reminder to always do what’s right, acting with love and compassion without avoiding truth (integrity), even if that gets messy or uncomfortable or unpopular. And it was a reminder that we are called to community, so that we can lean on one another, empathize with one another, have compassion for one another and, ultimately, point everyone to the saving grace of Jesus who is the center of it all. 

Such an encouraging and energizing night it was. I’m thankful to you Father, that you use people who may not even be your sons and daughters (yet), to communicates your truth and wisdom. You are good, and I love you and trust you. 

It’s in Jesus’ name that I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment