Tuesday, December 15, 2015

God's commands: Burden or Blessing?

Many many people both within and outside the faith look at God's commandments as burdensome.

Put bluntly, they're looking at them incorrectly.

You see, we have this worldly understanding of the word command that bites at us. We don't like to be told what to do, so we tend to fight back, or worse, we do it begrudgingly.  This is because we believe we know better, that we know what's best for us.

But try to remember back to when you were a toddler, and your parents said "no".  Many of us were quite angry at hearing it. But hopefully over time we learned that our parents knew better than us, and that they had and have our best interest at heart. Unfortunately, many had a different type of experience, where perhaps their parents didn't know better.  This is just another example of how flawed we are as people, even as parents.

But God isn't flawed.  He's perfect. He's a good good Father. Now, it's up to you whether you believe that or not, but it is 100% true. And once you absorb this truth into your heart, you'll realize quite clearly that his commands are not burdensome. On the contrary, they are the greatest blessings of your life. They are what will make you into the man or woman you were created to be. The best you.

God loves you, and wants the best for you. He is infinitely wise. He created you. And he created you for a purpose ... and he can guide you to if you let him.

Let Him.

Your statutes are wonderful, therefore I obey them.
The unfolding of your words gives light, it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.
Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.
Direct my footsteps according to your word, let no sin rule over me.
Redeem me from the oppression of men, that I may obey your precepts.
Make your face shine upon your servant and teach me your decrees.
Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.
Psalm 119:129-136

No comments:

Post a Comment