Monday, December 21, 2015

Love is a commitment, not a feeling!

I love God = I am committed to God unconditionally. 
I love my wife = I am committed to my wife unconditionally.
I love my children = I am committed to my children unconditionally.
I love my neighbor = I am committed to my neighbor unconditionally.


Love comes along with a feeling, for certain. But love is not a feeling. When we don't feel it, it is still there. We must remember this:  that when we love, we are committing ourselves fully. Otherwise it is not love at all.

From the MANuel, the NIV Bible for Men:
God is never fickle or inconsistent in how he relates to his people. He loves us with a rock-solid devotion. His is a loyal love. Even when we are faithless, he remains faithful (see 2 Timothy 2:13). What a great example for us in our dealings with quirky, idiosyncratic and ungrateful spouses, children and friends. What a great reminder that love is a commitment, not a feeling! Determine today to let God's unfailing love flow in and through you, so that you can give difficult people what they need most (and deserve least).

No comments:

Post a Comment