Monday, June 6, 2016

My fence-sitting and unbelieving friends need to hear this

The Bible tends to use legal imagery to illustrate our salvation. As willful violators of God's perfect law (and that means every one of us), we stand guilty before the Judge and Creator of the universe. Our crimes against Heaven call for the ultimate punishment of spiritual separation from a holy God - a never-ending punishment worse than we can even fathom.

Into this eternal crisis steps the sinless and perfect Christ. He offers himself as our substitute. He takes our punishment upon himself. Then, He gives us His right standing with God. To trust in Christ's person and work is what it means when church people say "justified".

This is no joke. You can roll your eyes and scoff at this, but it does not make it less true. I know you likely believe you haven't seen enough evidence, although I'm betting you haven't gone looking for it either. It is no one else's responsibility to prove this to you. It is your responsibility to do true research and determine whether it's true or not.

Personally, I know that it's true. But that only because I went seeking Him sincerely, with an open mind. I directly asked for Him to show Himself to me. And he did. Clearly and in high resolution. Bright lights were turned on in a pitch-dark room, with truths around me that I did not know were sitting there right in front of my face the entire time.

However for my first 38 years of life, I was just like you - skeptical and unbelieving.

Here's where the rubber meets the road:

If I'm now delusional (and have been for the past 7 years) and God is not real, I was simply silly. But meanwhile, I lived a selfless, humble, giving and compassionate life, focused on the needy, the poor, the innocent, the downtrodden.

If God IS real, then sitting on the fence until it's too late (or worse, outright rejecting Him), will place you apart from God for eternity, as a result of your indecision, or per your request. That means hell without time (infinity).

You will get what you've requested, as will I.

Do not "wait and see" on this one.

Call action:
1. Pray to God asking for him to reveal himself to you. Even if you feel silly or awkward doing it, do it with sincerity in your heart and with a humility. He may not respond immediately, because he works on His time, and is not your puppet.
2. Read the gospel starting with John (that's the 4th book in the New Testament). I prefer ESV or NIV versions, which are both fully accurate and reliable.
3. Read other resources from authors like C.S. Lewis, Tim Keller, Francis Chan, David Past, Geisler, Lennox (peers with Steven Hawking at Cambridge), Stroebel, and so on. The data you do not have currently is immense. The world and public education will not tell you the facts and truth contained in these writings. They are factual, rational, logical, scientific and lucid.
4. When you're ready pray a simple, humble prayer to Jesus. Something like this:
Jesus, I am ready to accept you as my Lord and Savior. I understand now that I am a sinner, and that I can not be perfect or righteous on my own. I would like to accept your free gift of salvation, to turn away from my sins, knowing that I may continue to stumble even as I try. You were beaten, crucified, and rose again from the dead in order to pay the debt that I owed. I am so thankful. I will spend the remainder of my days glorifying you and everything that I do, allowing you to transform me into your likeness. I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment